Clubgolf - Scotland's Partnership
"By 2009, we will have created the opportunity for every child in Scotland to have an introduction to the game of golf by the time they are nine years old."
Henry McLeish, First Minister of the Scottish Executive 2001
Clubgolf is a partnership between the Scottish Golf Union, the Scottish Ladies' Golfing Association, the Professional Golfers' Association, the Golf Foundation, sportscotland and the Scottish Executive. The partnership will provide the leadership, direction and support necessary to ensure that the aims and target set out in the national strategy for the development of junior golf in Scotland are achieved.
The aims of clubgolf are ambitious - by 2009 it aims to achieve the following targets:
- 50,000 9 year olds introduced to clubgolf every year through schools
- 50,000 9-15 year olds retained in the clubgolf programme at any one time
- 20,000 9-15 year olds experiencing golf in a community golf programme setting
- 200 clubgolf centres [school, club and community-linked centres delivering some of the above]
- 20 Junior clubgolf facilities [new clubgolf facilities]
- 40 affiliated Junior Golf facilities [existing facilities utilising the clubgolf brand]
The activities of clubgolf can be summarised as follows:
- An introduction to golf by age 9 in primary schools
- A customised approach to taking golf into the community, including social inclusion partnership areas.
- A core programme of skills, learning, practice, and play for 9-15 year old boys and girls
- Coaching and competition for the talented golfers at regional and national level
- Specialist support for our potential international and professional players
Within the partnership, the Golf Foundation is providing funds for two of the Regional Development Officers, the roll-out of firstclubgolf in primary schools, a discretionary grant-aid scheme to support the implementation of the national plan in clubs, and promotional activity at major events. In addition, clubgolf will be making good use of the Foundations initiatives including Tri-Golf and the Junior Golf Passport.